Sunday, February 24, 2013

Observation and Assessment

These two words are a huge part of my teacher vocabulary. 
 
First up, OBSERVATION...
 
For reading this year, I require my students to complete at least 30 minutes independently reading everyday at school.  During this time, I occasionally pull groups to focus on a target skill, but mostly I conference with students individually to observe their reading progress.  I love my system of giving the students a heart and star in their reading notebooks after conferencing.
 
Heart = Something I loved
Star = Something to work on
 
While, I valued this strategy, I was having a hard time keeping track of who I conferenced with in an organized matter.  My friend, KT, suggested using a file folder and notecard method to keep track of my conferences.  I began this in January and it is working great so I thought I would share!
 
I have one folder for girls and one for boys.
 
This is the inside of the boys folder. 
 
Write each students' name on an index card and tape them down like it is shown in the picture.
 
 
 
Flip open one flap to record the date, title of the book, and the heart and star that you gave each student.
 
Close ups...
 
 

Again, I am LOVIN' these observation folders.  It is organized and makes it so easy to keep track of who needs the next observation conference.

 
Next up, ASSESSMENT...
 
This year, our school has adopted common core AND standard based grading. 
 
These two changes have proven to be challenging, but it is really my first year since beginning to teach that I feel my students are benefitting from assessments.  I have really analyzed the common core standards for fourth grade (and for fifth grade to see where my students need to be next year).  I have begun creating powerful assessments and rubrics that allow my students to aim for MEETING every common core standard by the end of the year.  I have also shared a few of my common core assessments on teachers pay teachers. 
 
Click on the pictures below to check them out!
 
 
 
 
Hope you find something you love!  If you like what you see, be sure to follow me...more great common core assessments and rubrics to come!
 
Have a great Sunday :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...