Monday, July 29, 2013

Meet Me on The Teaching Tribune PLUS Monday Made It!


Today is the day you have all been waiting for. Okay, well maybe I have just been waiting for it! Anyways, today is the day that you can meet me on
The Teaching Tribune!  


When you hop over there today, you can read a little about me and a super important organizational tip for the beginning of the school year. The best part? You can enter to win one of the 3 fabulous prizes still left! So EASY to enter and we will pick another winner tonight! Click here for more information on how to win!  If you are coming from The Teaching Tribune, you can click on the "Meet the Teacher" link at the top of the page to find out even more about me.

Now for my first ever Monday Made It!

The wedding is over...sad face. The thank yous are well, almost finished...happy face!  Now what to do with gigantic stack of wedding cards?  I cannot possibly throw them away and putting them in a box stashed somewhere hardly sounds fun.  Then, a Pinterest idea sparked my brain!  I could not for the life of me find this idea that I knew I had once seen and I have no idea why I never pinned it, but, behold, here is my interpretation of a homemade card display...I am loving it!

All you really need is some colorful ribbon (I picked purple, my wedding color), scissors, a sturdy hole puncher, and a few safety pins (not pictured).  You need your stack of wedding cards also!

I had a stack of various sized cards so I picked a medium sized card to begin with.  With the card closed, I simply punched 3 holes down the side.  I didn't measure or anything.  I figured eyeing it up was good enough!

Line up all the other cards on the left hand side and on the bottom with the first card that you hole punched.  You want all the cards to be able to stand up when  you are finished so lining the cards up on the bottom is extremely important.  Then, I just made three little dots and hole punched the dots.  I went through and did each card in this same way.
Here's a couple tips for step 3...
If a card is too small to have all three punches, just make two.  It will work fine once you have all the cards attached together.  Additionally, I had a couple cards that were bound at the top.  All I did was cut these cards on this top fold so that the card was in two pieces.  Then, I still hole punched on the left hand side.

Once all the holes are punched, it's time to start threading the ribbon through!  I started with the middle holes first and I safety pined the ends to hold it in place while I threaded the bottom and top holes.  Remember it's okay if not all the cards have a top hole to go through.  I simply staggered the smaller cards throughout the stack so everything would stay nicely in place.

All that is left is to remove the safety pins and tie some tight, pretty bows!

Here's the final product!  Even the hubby loves it!

Now the teacher side of me thinks this would be a great idea to do with student thank you cards. I usually don't save them, but I think I am going to start a box this year and when I collect enough, make another one of these crafty card displays for the classroom!

I also am linking up with Tara over at 4th Grade Frolics!  Join us or just pop over to see some more fantastic "Made It" ideas!

Oh, and one last reminder to head over to The Teaching Tribune to enter today's rafflecopter!  There are three fabulous prizes left...a TpT $50 gift certificate, a Google Nexus Tablet, and Product Bundle Pack!  WOW!  As always, GOOD LUCK!

13 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I have about a billion cards from birth until present life. I weeded through them last year and ditched any that didn't have writing/letters in them. I narrowed it down to one shoe box size. Maybe I should try this. Yours turned out super cute! P.S. Loved the Hot off the Press blog hop!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alison! We probably should both be in bed right now! I am glad you are loving the Blog Hop over at The Teaching Tribune; I am very proud of this new collaboration blog! Monday's post will not actually be up until 8AM Eastern Time, but then make sure you enter today's raffle!
    Take care,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea to keep those cards. I wish I had known about this when my kids were young so I could have done this with their birthday cards. Where was Pinterest 15 years ago???

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your card display! What a great idea. I also love your choice in purple ribbon....my favorite color!


    Jennifer
    Elementary School Garden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea and precious way to keep some memories:) So glad you could join the linky:)


    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tara for hosting it! I already have so many more "Made It" ideas before I go back to school in a couple weeks! Yeah :)
      ~Michelle

      Delete
  6. WOW I love this idea! Wish I would have done this after I got married. Congrats!

    Heidi
    Secondgradealicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not late to start collecting student or birthday cards! Go to it!
      ~Michelle

      Delete
  7. That is very cute and clever! Love that you can keep adding to it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Cyndie! The knots can totally be untied in order to add to the card display! :)
      ~Michelle

      Delete
  8. Great idea! I still have all my wedding cards {from 2 years ago!} and couldn't figure out what to do with them. Thanks for sharing!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the easy to follow instructions! I'm not naturally crafty.
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that idea!!! Congratulations on your wedding. Just found your blog through Tara's Monday made it. I'll hae to remember that tip when I get married!! :)

    Courtney
    Teaching in Paradise

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...