Sunday, August 25, 2013

Wordle Anyone?


If you haven't heard of the website Wordle yet, you are missing out!  I absolutely love making Wordles for decoration and fun in the classroom.

As I was preparing my classroom last week for the first day of school (YIKES, it's tomorrow!), I found this Wordle that my friend Sara made for me last year...


If you haven't seen this awesome website you simply go to http://www.wordle.net.

Once there, click on "Create" to make your own.  Then, simply type in the words that you want to be on your Wordle.  (Note: If you want a few words to be bigger than the others, then type them more than once into the box.)  Last, click go and like magic your Wordle is created!  If you don't like the one generated for you, just click the "Randomize" button and a new one is made for you!  Once, you have one you like you can either save it to their public gallery or print them.

Now, for my favorite part!  You can also just enter a website and the website will automatically make a Wordle for you.  So, of course, I type in my Well, Michelle? address.  Here's a few samples of what was generated:

Wordle: Well, Michelle?

Wordle: Well, Michelle?
Now how to use this in the classroom?  I have two easy ways...

PROJECTS and PRESENTS!

PROJECTS:  Use Wordles to compliment a classroom assignment such as an illustration or book cover for a story, a sight word picture to practice, or a way to review concepts at the end of a unit in any subject!

PRESENTS:  Remember how I told you my friend Sara made me that super cute Wordle picture above?  What a cute gift, right?!  She also made them for her whole class last year...


Thanks for letting me share these pictures Sara!  :)

Happy "Wordle-ing" everyone!
If anyone else using Wordles in other ways, I would love to hear about them!

You can go back and check out other Throwback Thursday link ups at The Teaching Tribune!

2 comments:

  1. I've had my middle school students make Wordles at the beginning of the year as part of my "getting to know you" activities. We then hung them in the hall for open house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I love it...thanks for sharing! And I have just enough time before open house!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...