Monday, September 2, 2013

Making Rules

I finally finished the first week of this school year!  I know it is going to be a great year and I already love my class.  Real quick, I would like to share with everyone, perhaps the most effective thing I did all week...set up my classroom rules!

It took me 8 years to get here, but I finally love the way I establish my classroom rules.  It really helps to create my classroom community from the beginning.  I think it helps my students be more aware and accountable for their actions because they are active participants in the decision making.

So here's what we did...

First step, jot thoughts on posters.  I laid out 7 posters around the room and the students traveled around reflecting on the questions.  We used these posters to brainstorm what our classroom should look like.  Here are some samples...






Next, we discussed the posters whole group and made some notes on the board of what we thought was most important.  We used these notes to come up with 4 important rules for the classroom.  Here is what our notes looked like...


I recommend making between 3-5 rules to ensure that the students remember them and can implement them effectively.  Once we had our rules established, I wrote the rules out on a poster.


Finally, we added signatures and this is my favorite part!  You could simply have the students sign their names around the outside agreeing to the rules or you could have the students sign with hand prints!  Hand prints are the route I took and it makes our rules poster look so cute!  Plus, you are the coolest teacher ever when you paint student's hands on the first day of school!  The students seriously had so much fun doing this. 


 So, good luck making  your rules in the classroom!
Also to help anyone out who likes this idea, I put them all together and posted them on Teachers Pay Teachers.  I also created posters of the seven questions that I used for brainstorming.  You can download this product for FREE for the next 7 days!  Simple CLICK HERE.  All feedback is greatly appreciated.  Enjoy :)


I can't wait to see what is in store for week two!

2 comments:

  1. I used the same questions with my kids, but I had them respond on Post-It's. I might try your poster idea next year!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Post-It idea! Thanks for sharing :)
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...