Monday, October 21, 2013

The Power of 00

I recently met The Human Calculator at a truly inspiring math professional development training.  If you have never heard of Scott Flansburg before check out the YouTube videos below.  I promise they are worth your time.

This first one is snip from a interview on the Today show...

Here he is breaking a Guinness World Record...

This last one is Scott on the Oprah show...

Want more?  You can YouTube his name and find more such as presentations similar to the one I saw on that Saturday.

It was one of those Saturdays where you feel like the last thing you want to do is go to a training, but I was so glad I did!  I left feeling re-energized and incorporated what I learned right into my next weeks plans!  We were beginning place value in fourth grade and Scott's approach using the 00 chart couldn't have come at a better time.  I also found a copy of this chart in a Kathy Richardson book.  I copied it for my students and had them find all the patterns in this chart.  Here are some we found...


WOW!  Seeing the relationships between numbers and building this number sense on this 00 chart was extremely important...The Power of 00!

Now, for the Common Core State Standard for 4th grade, students must know place value to the 1,000,000 place, but I firmly believe beginning smaller and working your way up, helps the students to build understanding and closes all gaps students may have.  Therefore, we went on to build 1,099 mini books.  I copied several small, blank hundreds charts and had the students fill in the first and last numbers and a row and column on each page.  I loved starting with 00!  It makes so much more sense.  When you start with 00, the 100 chart really begins with 100 and contains all numbers in 100, the 200 chart really begins with 200 and contains all the numbers in 200, and so on.  Here are some example pages from one student's book...




Next, we worked our way up to the ten thousands and created a class 10,999 poster.  Here is what our completed poster looked like...


These strategies have really developed place value number sense. Hope you have fun with 00 in your class too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...