Monday, February 24, 2014

Fraction Action!

I have been keeping busy in February with fractions in the classroom!  I must share one of my FAVORITE fraction activities with you!  

I start by giving the students a list of fractions (some are regular fractions, some are improper fractions, and some are mixed numbers).  The students are also given blank squares to represent the wholes, squares divided into thirds, and squares divided into fifths.  Then, the students must use the blanks, thirds, and fifths to create fraction cards with their list of fractions.  The students are really challenged to think, especially when creating the improper fractions.  

Examples of these cards are seen here...



And what better idea then to play FRACTION WAR with the finished cards!  The students shuffled their cards, dealt them out evenly with a partner, and flipped them over.  The friend with the largest fraction won both cards and the student with the most cards at the end won the game!
If the students were ever unsure with the visual models, such as these students with 3/6 and 3/8, I had them get out their previously made fraction bars to represent the fractions in another way.

The students also recorded their fractions in their math journals using >,<, and = signs...



As an extension, I had small groups line up their cards using benchmark fractions and on a number line.  Seeing this visual relationship really helped to increase student understanding!

Afterwards, I had the students pick two cards, glue them down on a piece of construction paper, and compare them.  Of course, this was the perfect bulletin board!


I love the little details such as my circle border and my letters...


This ticket out the door, helped me give the students a quick formative assessment.  Most students were able to thoroughly explain equivalent fractions and comparing fractions such as this student below!


This week, I will be moving into decimals and the relationship with fractions.  I can't wait to use my fraction and decimal match-up pack!  It is filled with 60 decimal, fraction, and word form match up cards with an adorable newspaper theme! These cards are perfect to practice Common Core Standard 4.NF.6 - Use decimal notation for fractions with denominators 10 or 100. For example, rewrite 0.62 as 62/100. 

Suggestions for individual, small group, and whole group activities included. There are also student direction sheets and recording sheets for individual activities. Bonus: An assessment to check mastery of the standard with an answer key!



Click on the pictures above to grab these today, but pssst...if you haven't heard, there is a HUGE TpT sale happening later this week, so you might want to wait until then!


Either way, I know you will love this pack and I wish you luck teaching fractions and decimals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...